White Georgia marble
This larger-than-life lion marks the graves of several hundred unknown Confederate soldiers who died during the Atlanta Campaign in 1864. The idea for the memorial was initiated by the Ladies Memorial Association in November of 1892. Its design is based on either the “Journal Lion” in Grant Park or the famous sculpture of the Lion of Lucerne done by Bertel Thorvaldsen, which was hewn to commemorate the Swiss Guards that were killed during the French Revolution in 1792.
T. M. Brady was hired to design this piece, and its marble came from the Georgia Marble Company in Tate, Georgia.
Historic Oakland Cemetery
248 Oakland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30312