Allen George Newman
Bronze and granite
This memorial was erected by the Gate City Guard to honor the efforts of the guard to spread peace following the Civil War. On October 6, 1879, the guard went on a tour to invite former adversaries in what had been Union states during the Civil War to unite with people of the south. It was a “mission of peace” and was endorsed by the military and people across the United States. The memorial was dedicated in 1911. The statue is also called “Cease Firing – Peace is Proclaimed.” The Angel of Peace holds an olive branch beside the sitting soldier and reaches out her hand to him.
Allen George Newman was born in New York, and studied sculpture under John Quincy Adams Ward at the National Academy of Design.
1071 Piedmont Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30309