John Massey Rhind
Painted iron and marble granite
A round iron fountain stands at just over 3 feet tall and is surrounded by a semi-circular bench decorated with Zodiac signs. The fountain’s pedestal reads: “Glorious Water, Glorious Water.” The surrounding bench’s arms are dolphins, and its sides feature undersea scenes with carved seaweed and crabs. An inscription on the bench states, “This fountain is erected in memory of Judge John Erskine by his daughter.” The fountain was given to the city of Atlanta in 1896 in honor of Judge Erskine, an Irish immigrant who had served as a United States judge for the district court of Georgia from 1865 to 1883. A long time resident of Atlanta (his house on Peachtree Street was torn down in 1864 and used for timber to build cabins for Sherman’s troops), the judge had always wanted to give a fountain to his adopted hometown. He died before he got the chance, and his daughter carried out her father’s wish.
The fountain was originally placed at the intersection of Peachtree and West Peachtree Streets. In 1912, the Erskine fountain was relocated to Grant Park’s Ormond Street entrance when Peachtree and West Peachtree were regraded and widened, leaving the fountain four feet above street level.
The artist, John Massey Rhind (1860-1936) was a Scottish sculptor who received many commissions in the United States in the 19th Century. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1860 and died in New York City in 1936.
Cherokee Avenue SE
Atlanta, GA 30315